Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Cowgirl Dreams

My newest children's book, Gracie's Greatest Gift, is OFFICIALLY for sale! This little book, while it appears so small and insignificant, has been a true test of my faith. Over the next few days I'll walk you through the story behind the story of this book.

It all started as a poem titled "Cowgirl Dreams" and was written late one evening in the fall of 2008. As a new writer, I thought I had the makings of a picture book for young children. WRONG!

To make a long story short, "Cowgirl Dreams" was rewritten more than 20 times and was flatly rejected by many who knew more than I did. "It will not sell in today's market." So, instead of throwing in the towel, I began intensively praying for a new direction.

I'd love to say I started in the new direction the next day, but, truthfully I had a pity party for, well, awhile. Then, after reading the autobiography of Reba McEntire for the umpteenth time, the idea came. What do ALL little girls today want to be? A performer, a singer, a STAR! That's how Reba became involved in this project.

I created a new character, Gracie Wilson. She popped into my head during a walk on a clear, crisp winter day in 2009. Changed the target age of the book from a picture book for 4-8 year olds to an early reader chapter book for ages 6-10 and weaved some of Reba's history into the book. (If you don't know Reba's history, you might want to read it. It is quite a story!).

Anyway, three and a half years later, and after 40+ rewrites (but after a while, why count?), the book in hard-copy is FINALLY for sale!
As any good storyteller will tell you, the book is partly true and partly fiction. It is, afterall, a story. From inspiration (2008) to publication (2012) it has indeed made for a good story. More about it tomorrow! See you down the trail...

No comments: