Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Why God Why?

I can't count how many times I have uttered those three words - why God why. Maybe you have too. Anytime something in life didn't go the way I planned or hoped, anytime a disaster or terrible illness struck, anytime something awful happened. Well, you get the picture. Often, at work, when I am working with a child who has been permanently injured from someone else's actions, I am left to ponder that question - why God why?

My grandmother, truly one of the wisest women that ever lived, used to say "God doesn't have to give us an answer, but all things will work out for good in the end." Truthfully, I used to very, very disatisfied with that remark. But, as I have gotten older and weathered my share of storms, I now see the wisdom behind her comments.

I can ask the question, Why God Why?, and I can get frustrated that I don't have an answer figured out. However, it doesn't change the fact that the answer will never come or, if it comes, it will not make sense to my mind. But, peace comes when I accept that I am not in control and I don't need to know. The simple fact that I am alive and breathing also doesn't make sense because I am not worthy, at least in my own eyes, of being here. Why me and why not someone else? Why am I alive when others are not?

Why the earthquake and tsunami in Japan? Why the earthquake in Haiti? Why war and bloodshed in Libya, Somalia, etc? It has taken me many years to be humble enough to believe I don't need to know. God made me and everything on this earth and He is in charge. I am a mere creation of his and I accept whatever He decides is my fate. I accept it because I love him and He loves me.

My earthly father used to say "Because I said so" after he doled out my punishment. I didn't like it but I followed his direction. My heavenly father also says "Because I said so."

Ecclesiastes 11: 5 "As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things."

No comments: